Unlike other industries, the digital marketing arena demands to stay constantly updated with today’s rapidly changing marketing requirements. It requires in-depth planning, forecasting marketing trends, on-the-spot decisions and consistently monitoring customer preferences and marketing trends.
From UI/UX design to display ads to an effective content marketing strategy, digital agencies cater to a comprehensive range of requirements to keep an organization’s product in the limelight. Due to its versatile range of work processes, it requires equally versatile personnel and tools to be able to pull off their projects.
Since there is no hard and fast set of rules regarding creative work, project management in a digital agency can be more complicated and may demand more sudden shifts in project plans; which may be due to customer’s changing preferences or consistently changing marketing trends. For this reason, they require project management tools for digital agencies that can work efficiently and cater to the unpredictable modifications in workflows.
Here is a list of top project management tools for digital agencies that can be adopted today to make their work more streamlined and teams more aligned.
Primarily a project management tool designed and built for teams of all sizes and industries, nTask comprises a wide range of features that allow for structuring projects and streamlining work lows. nTask is an ideal project management tool for digital agencies as through nTask, you can easily manage your marketing projects through a variety of features including team-specific workspaces and multiple options for task and project assignment. Some of the features and modules of nTask include:
- Create, assign, organize, prioritize and share tasks related to creative projects and easily control projects through a simple but comprehensive user interface.
- Manage and monitor project progress through Gantt charts and timelines.
- Manage and monitor employee task efforts with this complete payroll management section.
- Creative work is all about changes and updates. With nTask meetings, you can arrange and schedule meetings, be it one time or recurring, from sending invites to attendees and specifying follow up procedures.
- With issue tracking, you can identify and list down issues related to different tasks.
- Built-in risk management allows you to identify potential risks to any project to better plan out your workflow.
- Alerts, notifications, and reminders to keep teams on track.
According to Michelle, an avid user of nTask, it is a task/project management tool that encompasses features that may not be found in other similar task management tools. She states it to be great for freelancers and small teams, especially digital agencies that need to keep track of time per project or client and want one unified interface for it. It is also a great tool for prioritizing and progress tracking.
Podio by Citrix is another popular project management tool with organizations. It offers a complete collaboration solution by combining the features of e-mail and a chat service. It also offers a server for sharing documents and information and facilitate project delivery. Some of the features this tool incorporates, include:
- Individual accounts for team members.
- Customizable workspaces for different teams.
- Multiple applications for each workspace for team collaboration.
- Applications are customizable whereby Podio provides WYSIWYG tools for addition, removal or rearrangement of components within an application.
- Create your own applications with templates and fields using drag and drop.
- Podio API for setting up custom integrations.
Loren Baker is the co-founder of Foundation Digital. Baker is all praise for Podio when she words it as an amazing, all-in-one solution for project management. She adds that due to its app-based structure, teams can customize its application set for specific types of deliverable-based project management and reporting. Secondly, she states that her team of 50 plus members can manage an entire project from start to end with internal agency discussion and auto tasking. The project can evolve to be client facing for reviewing drafts and content as well as reporting.
Asana is another comprehensive project management tool that can be used by multiple teams from marketing to HR to creatives and designers. It allows managing projects efficiently while allowing easy project management and encourages team collaboration to achieve results faster. You can create tasks and projects and assign teams. Asana comes with some of the following salient features:
- Create projects, tasks, and subtasks to structure workflow
- Monitor project timeline and share updates with your team.
- Integrate with multiple tools and software to incorporate emails, files, and tickets.
- Through the calendar, you can schedule projects and tasks to avoid overlapping timelines.
- You can visualize project updates and statuses through multiple boards.
- Hold meetings with your creative team and have instant discussions through efficient collaboration channels.
Katie Jansen is the VP of Marketing at AppLovin. Jansen has claimed Asana as a favorite. Some of the features she mentions for Asana includes easy usage across different departments, easy to start a project, set sub-tasks and manage deadlines and project reassignment to another team with the complete history.
Google is not just a search engine anymore. Instead, with the numerous tools and services it provides, it can prove to be an optimum project management tool for digital agencies. From hosting your website to advertising to content management, the G-Suite can help digital agencies with the complete marketing cycle. Here are some of the services and how digital agencies can make the best of them:
- Google My Business lets you advertise for free.
- Google+ Business Pages to help you set up your own business page.
- Google Webmaster Tools account. Google Webmaster Tools help you stay alert for any potential red flags and helps analyze search traffic.
- Google Suite: Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Forms: You can store and share all sorts of documents. Plus, the projects are saved automatically.
- Google AdWords: You can create ads by targeting specific words relevant to your agency, which may appear on Google when people potential customers search for these keywords.
- Google Analytics: With this service, you can monitor the traffic to your website and gain insight to help you understand customer behavior.
Kristopher Jones is the founder of LSEO.com. According to Jones, his team coordinates a lot using Google Spreadsheets for link-building campaigns and content marketing calendars. At times they even incorporate Google analytics and campaign data directly into Spreadsheets. They also utilize Google Docs to collaborate and through Google Calendar and Gmail, they arrange meetings and external communication.
SmartDraw is a complete designing tool for creating diagrams, templates, tools, and symbols. You can use SmartDraw to make flowcharts and organizational charts, engineering and network diagrams, application and site mock-ups, wireframes and a lot more. Since SmartDraw facilitates the drawing process through automation, so you can add shapes and make modifications through realignment on the fly. Some of the features of SmartDraw are:
- Automatic formatting with over 70 different types of visuals
- Over 4,500 templates and 34,000 built-in symbols
- Integration with Confluence, Jira, MS Office, GSuite & more
- Import, edit, and export Microsoft Visio files and Export option to PDF& MS Office
- Drag & drop interface
- Design themes
- Collaboration tools
- Available in 100 languages
- SOC 2 certified
- Chart-based diagrams, Graph-based diagrams, and Schematic diagrams.
Neil Myers is the founder and president of Connect Marketing. Myers states having used dozens of project management tools for digital agencies. The simple tools cannot handle complex projects and the more powerful and sophisticated tools are difficult to operate. With SmartDraw, Myers finds the necessary balance in the form of a simple application that can cater to complex projects as well.
InVision is a tool that caters to design and development. On a single platform, teams can create high-fidelity web and mobile prototypes, manage projects as well as collaborate with each other in real-time. It allows teams to prototype, review, refine and test web and mobile products without additional effort of coding. Some of the features you can find in this project management tool include:
- Design prototyping, sharing, and presentation
- Comments and feedback
- Real-time meetings and whiteboarding
- Team collaboration
- Project management
- User testing and research
Chapin Herman is the co-founder of Herman-Scheer. While discussing a transition to InVision from another tool, Herman explained the need for collaboration between their design team as well as sharing work with customers. He further added that InVision facilitates his team by taking the typical wireframing process further with their prototyping capabilities. This helps them to link and click between multiple pages as done on a live site.
This is our take on top project management tools for digital agencies. Which tool would you recommend as a project management tool for digital agencies? Let us know in the comments below.